Sunday, March 20, 2016

the healer stigmata

The First Wounded at The London Hospital, 1914 by John Lavery, date painted: 1914

When I was little, a fortune teller or a palmistry reader told my mom and me that I had the Solomon ring and the healer stigmata. In the contrary, I disdained biology and genetics in grade school. I couldn't see myself pursuing a career in the healing professions given its tumultuous and laborious years of training. Fast forward, as a grown adult, I don't believe in palmistry or different branches of pseudosciences. It just doesn't add up these non-fact-based conjectures. However, somehow, admittedly, it is quite soothing to the soul to think that one was born with the innate space to allow others to heal themselves. Maybe I've chosen the right profession? The intricacy of sciences is intriguing. However, hard facts without tendering to the emotional wounds are too stiff. It reminds me of Reiter's syndrome, an eponym that should be replaced with more accurate and kind terms instead of its association to the Nazi crimes.... I guess all I wanted to say that it's soothing to have that healer stigmata of Solomon ring telling me that hey maybe I'm capable of making the right decisions for my patients. And, yes, maybe I was born to make space in my life to heal my fellow human beings. 
~Late night in Virginia

No comments: