Monday, March 28, 2016

feelings before the Pharm course

Painting: Little Nurse
                   As I'm previewing the powerpoint handouts for the 1st pharm lecture tomorrow, I'm starting to sense a real shift in the role of the professional nurse. As an RN, you're told to stay away from trying to make a diagnosis or giving advice in terms of what medications to take, even over the counter medications, to any patients or their families. But as I'm previewing the powerpoint handouts, I realize that I'll be having the privilege of prescribing meds to patients. I don't have to stay away from telling patients what to take. I'll be it. I'll have the tools, authority, and the expertise to prescribe meds to patients. It definitely feels like a real privilege. With privilege comes responsibility. I vow to take this privilege seriously, to study pharm thoroughly, and to ensure the safety of my fellow human beings who seek help from me.
~Miss Student

No comments: